Whitney Shrouded Re-post

This image is from last year on a trip to the eastern Sierra. On my way home I stopped to shoot
the Bristlecone pines in the white mountains before heading on to the Alabama hills during a spring storm. I had my long lens with me so I pulled it out and shot Mt. Whitney. You can’t actually see Whitney in this shot but I prefer it to the shot where I can see it. Seems more mysterious to me.
In the re-post I added some mid-tone contrast which gave it more depth and a little bit more warmth, and I added some contrast to the clouds to make them pop.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any please

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any please

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

D850, ISO 100, 1/800 @ f/9, 80-400 lens, 360mm, windy conditions.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Single shot

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

David, these were wonderful condition to try a telephoto extraction of the mountain. I love how the dappled light creates spotlight effects on various parts of the mountain and snow. The swirling clouds around the highest peak are especially interesting, and really showcase the nice light you had to work with. You were very fortunate to have these conditions, and really made the most of them, I like this image very much.

My suggestions for tweaks would be to add a stronger vignette, and to slightly boost the contrast of the highlights in the clouds for a little more pop. But these are minor tweaks, this is already a great image as presented.

This is a wonderful condition but for some reasons, this appears muddy to me. Perhaps a touch of midtone contrast will help in that department.

Thanks for the suggestions @Adhika_Lie, @Ed_McGuirk. I applied both of the suggestions to the revised image. You were both correct. It made a pretty big difference.

I remember shooting scenes like this long ago. You keep waiting for the clouds to lift and be in the proper formation for a good composition. They come and go while you wait. In this case I feel they’re not optimally scattered in that half the image is clouds and the other is not. To me the bottom part is far more interesting yet the upper half gets the full half (or more) of the image. But you can’t crop the clouds because of the opening in the clouds. In such a case I would crop to a composition that the weather gave me. Yes you lose a lot of good stuff on the sides but the overall composition (design) has to be the overriding factor.

PS. The dreamier look is better than the contrasty look for this subject, so far.

I say, I have to agree with you Igor. This really puts the attention on the main part of the image and I don’t miss the sides that were cropped off at all. Thanks so much!

Lovely. For this scene, I prefer your original contrast. As Igor said, it’s dreamier - that mood fits the wispy clouds. I like Igor’s crop, also.

Thanks Bonnie. I like Igors crop as well. It’s my new favorite.

You captured great conditions David. I too like the original post. Igor’s square crop is also interesting.

Superb capture, David. I actually prefer your original over your repost. I like the idea of a SLIGHT boost of mid-tone contrast but your repost is too strong IMHO. I think both your & Igor’s crop look great. If I HAD to pick one over the other, I might give Igor’s a slight edge. Beautiful capture!

I will jump on the original contrast and Igor’s crop bandwagon. You did a good job of showing that you don’t need to show all, to capture the essence. Nicely done.