Utah mountain sunset

This is my 2nd post and one of the first images with my telephoto lens. I am still trying to figure out if I have a decent composition!

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Would love input on whether it needs cropping or if it’s even worthwhile keeping. Also, I’ve been arguing with myself over coloring and exposure/clarity so any input would be great!

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn) No real amazing techniques here. Shot at 342 mm during sunset. I have only adjust some coloring, exposure and clarity.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below. @asliceofbrie2020

Hey @Brie_Stockwell,

Such lovelly conditions, its a great image, makes me miss days like these on the mountain.
I love the layers on the foreground and that S line its a great way to guide the eye thru the image, but that mountain peak on the left steals the attention a bit.
Here’s what i would change.

I cropped that peak out and leveled the highlights a bit (it looked a bit under on my monitor).

Other then that the image is a great record of a beautiful mountain view.

Thanks for sharing,
Cheers

1 Like

Thank you. The crop is exactly what I was thinking but wasn’t sure about it. I calibrated my monitor and it’s hard to tell whether exposure is right uploading it to the web. I’ll do some adjusting before I print! Do you think the clouds in the foreground are too dark?

You show us a really nice vista ‘from above’, good mood, nice clouds, and depth. I like the rework that João did, the highlights really missed a good ‘pop’. Cropping the mg peak on the right also removes the peak all the way in the back, that was also close to the edge of the frame.
I don’t find the fg clouds too dark, but you could play with the shadows locally a bit and see how it changes the contrast and atmosphere.

1 Like

Thanks! I can’t remember what was to the left but I wish I would have shifted that way just a little. I’ll definitely crop the final image. The RAW image was so flat that I had to play with clarity/shadows/exposure… I do remember I was so cold!! Also, just checked out your IG :heart_eyes:. Am dying to visit Norway. We hosted an exchange student from Oslo 3yrs ago and are doing it again next year.

Brie, I think this image has great light and atmosphere, and when you have that, there is always potential to create drama. I think the rework by @João_Ferrão works very well. Part of the enhanced drama in his rework drama is the added contrast in the highlights. When I looked at the histogram of your original post, your had a lot of empty space to the right of your histogram, and by using more of the tonal range in the highlights, Jaoa has added drama. When you process an image, doing a check of your histogram after you finish is a good way to maintain perspective on what you have done.

While I like what Joao has done with his crop, i think there is another possibility here too. I like the spotlit clouds in the lower right corner, and I like the zig-zag arrangement of the dark foreground mountains. I see another crop that emphasizes those features. To me, the drama in the foreground has more value than the sense of depth added by the distant background mountains. Here is my alternate crop. To add even more contrast beyond the highlights, I also cooled the color of the shadows, to create a bit of warm/cool color contrast as well.

1 Like

This is also a great crop! Thank you for the information on the histogram. I will definitely add that to my workflow. Thanks again!

Brie,

A wonderful, grand vista landscape. Thanks for posting!

First of all, I think the composition is excellent as presented. I like the diagonals at the bottom and the layers throughout. The misting clouds work beautifully connecting the entire frame.

Personally, I think a grand vista like this deserves the more classic landscape format - ie. the crop isn’t working for me. yes, it is one way to mitigate the dark mountain on the right and I agree it’s mildly distracting. An alternative thought would be to make the mountain the same contrast/luminosity as the shaded ridge to the left. I did this simply by adding an empty layer, drop the opacity to about 25% and paint with a soft brush using the color picker to select a lighter gray color/tone. Very easy. I just think the clouds and mountain elements up top, as well as clouds/mist below are too important to crop out.

I also upped the overall contrast a tad while bumping up the highlights a little too. Subtle changes, but an image I think worth tweaking.

1 Like

I like Lon’s version. I took it even a bit further: cropped off a bit of the top sky, and cropped off some of the left side. That way I think the dark mountain on the right is nicely balanced by the dark mountain on the left. Like so:

1 Like

This a great option too! I went back and cropped the image but I felt like I was missing the grand landscape quality. I’ll go back to try this and see how it resonates me. I love this group for all the different options that contributors are giving me. Thanks again!

This crop is also intriguing! Thank you so much for commenting!!