Byrce Sunset

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any/all

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any/all

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Taken at Bryce Canyon last September. Used Sony A6000, F6.3, 1/200 sec., -0.3 exposure, 176mm

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Lovely light and color. Quite beautiful! To my eye, the thin strip of background on the top is distracting. I think either there needs to be more of it, or it should be cropped out. If you do crop it out, you could experiment with rotating the image clockwise to make the white “line” in the bottom third more level. Also, I would crop the right edge to get rid of the right angle in the rock cliff at the top.

Hi Patricia,
What a lovely image. It really makes me want to be there. I can feel the anticipation.

I have mixed feelings about cropping off the top. I think you want to keep the darker brown spire tips, and cropping would eliminate those. While the light is lovely, it still feels kind of “late afternoon” or something. I guess what I’m saying is that it’s a very bright sunset :smiley:

I like the idea of clockwise rotation to make the layers level and eliminate the less attractive brush on the bottom right.

I hope you have more from this park. It’s such a marvel.

Very nice color, and great light.

As mentioned, the sliver of far background is distracting: My eye wants more of it. I am on the fence about cropping the top because I think you would lose some good context and depth.

If you still have the full frame image, experiment with crops from the top

My last suggestion is to bring down the high values in the upper cliff band–they are a tad too bright.

This is a nice image that has great potential.
-P

Patricia,

Great job condensing this scene to it’s core elements - as in the wonderful formations and combo of layers between the eroded sandstone and the vegetation of the area.

I would agree about the top. At least for me it’s just cropped to close for comfort. I’m sure there’s a reason, but if all that’s up there are the distant, soft mountains, I would thinking giving it a bit more room up top would help quite a bit.

And I think the only reason to “fix” the slant of the bottom formations would be if you were to crop the top completely, then I would do a transformation. But it’s fine by me as presented.

I would also agree with Preston on tweaking the brighter formations up top, but that’s minor.

Lon

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I have more on the top and the left. I will experiment with different crops and lower the brightness on the top. Hopefully I can come up with a more pleasing comp.