Mountains at dusk

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Late yesterday I went to a high spot in some mountains to photograph the sunset. This scene was to the left of the sunset and I found it more appealing than the sunset itself. I did very little processing with this one, all in Lightroom.

Specific Feedback

In the sky there are some faint, distant mountains barely poking through. I’m not sure whether or not they’re distracting.

I’m always a little at sea with these low-contrast shots. I tried darkening this one some, since it was a shot at dusk, but the result looked muddy to me.

Technical Details

ISO 100, 262mm, f/16, 1/4 sec.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Thanks Don.

Aesthetic? Minimalist.

I like the light overall and the way the ridges (and colour/light) step off into the distance. Not sure all that sky adds to the composition so I’d try a pano crop to lose some of it.

I agree with Mark’s suggestion of a crop off the top. The distant mountains do not distract. While not distracting, the clouds don’t seem to add anything. Beautiful light.

Mark, Jim, I appreciate the comments.

1 Like

I really like the layers and the colour palette in this image. I love the clouds that are at the very top of the frame but honestly, I’m not a 100% if there maybe the sky doesn’t take up too much of the frame. I think I’d experiment with a crop but then again, you’d loose those delicate clouds. It’s a hard call.

For me, it’s the color of the sky that’s entrancing and the way the mountains fade into the distance, becoming more purple as they blend with the sky. I agree with the others about the balance - it feels too 1/2 and 1/2, mountains and sky. Since I find the sky color so beautiful, I would be tempted to crop off the bottom, just above the valley bottom (or whatever that area is that’s lighter).

Tom, Bonnie, I appreciate the comments. I’ve tried some different crops but there’s really nothing I want to crop out of this one.

Don, I see what the others are saying about the crop, but I agree that the sky is an important part of this image. I am especially attracted to the curved line of what looks like a stream towards the bottom of the frame. It is an interesting change in the lines that the mountains so beautifully add to the composition. I think your processing is spot on.

1 Like

This is a beautiful image. The low contrast looks great too. I really love the layers and color balance in this one. I would just suggest cropping the image to a 2:1 or 16:9 since there’s not much in the sky.

Great image!

1 Like