Pastel evening

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was an unexpected bonus as I was walking the road along Sunset Hill in the White Mountains of NH. I usually focus my attention farther to the right of this scene, but this particular evening it caught my eye first due to the way the pastel colors defined the mountains and added some nice depth to the image. For the sake of honesty there was a tree on the right that I cloned out. I couldn’t move to the left as it would merge the various ridgelines so I went with this with the intention of getting rid of the tree in PS.

Specific Feedback

Does the crop work for you? I ask because I cropped some from the top along with the right and left sides. Anything else you notice please feel free to let me know.

Technical Details

Nikon Z7, Nikon 24-200 @ 200 mm, f 11 @ 1/6 sec, ISO 200, cable release & tripod

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Heya Ed! I’m a sucker for some layers, so this image caught my attention right away. I like the pastels in the mountains and the gradient from cooler to warmer tones. Now that you’ve mentioned it, I think I see where you cloned out the tree on the right but didn’t notice it on my own.

Regarding the crop, my first reaction was to feel that there’s too much space on the top. I personally would have experimented with cropping out the clouds altogether or bringing the top down. The bottom half of the image is where the action is, for me personally. I wonder if a crop that ends just below the bit of cloud in the middle of the frame could work.

Thanks for sharing! :slight_smile:

Ed, this is a very restful view, with tons of layers. I like that you’ve got layers both in the land and the sky. the pastels in the distant look great and I’m enjoyig the hints of texture in the furthest mountains. I’d print and hang this one.