Sunset tonight. messing around with BW

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any help is appreciated

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Not a composite. Sony A7 III, Kit lens, F8, ISO 200, sunset.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

You caught a dramatic cloud! I spent half my life in Arizona, and that brings back memories of the thunderheads in monsoon season. I like the way you made it the centerpiece, and its brightness really makes it stand out.

I’m not sure what the effect is from , but I do wish the detail of the cloud didn’t disappear at the bottom. I’m not sure what you were working with for an original, but is there any detail in that? If so, it would be worth working to keep that in the image. I like the vignette idea, but would reduce it a little so it is just a bit less obvious.

Thanks for the feed back John. here is the original as shot. You can see the cloud does just kind of disappear. The sun light was highlighting this cloud.

Tom,

Great looking cloud and certainly worthy of photographing! I like how it’s kind of isolated - in other words, it’s a pretty darn big cloud rising in the atmosphere, but it seems like it’s a solitary cloud with no other clouds nearby. Pretty cool scenario.

B&W looks good here. Of course with b&w there is great latitude in increasing the contrast and drama even more, but that’s a personal choice.

I’m curious about the vignette. It looks uniform so I’m guessing one of the graduated masks. I think it’s effective and appropriate, I’m just torn on whether it’s too much. The effect a bit like looking through a scope or binoculars.

Have to say I really like the color version. The hues of blue and lovely and the cloud stands out nicely. I might be inclined to simply crop some off the bottom (1/2 the grass field) and go with the color.

Lon