Central Valley Sunset

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

I got this shot at the end of an afternoon of shooting waterfowl at the Merced NWR. D500, Nikon 2-500 lens, 1/1000th, f/7.1, ISO 360, 200mm, hand held, cropped to 4597 x 2885, AI Clear

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Beautiful dramatic light and scene. I have been doing a scroll crop eliminating the light sky above. I like it both ways, they just yield a very different mood. This turned out great.

You know what, this reminds me of Africa. Maybe not quite the same way, but it evokes a great feeling to it. I would definitely try to level this, Dave.

Dave,

Gorgeous sunset seen. It’s not often we get to see the sun emerging from a cloud on it’s way to the horizon - great timing on this! I’m also liking the inclusion of the entire cloud and sky above. the framing of the oak trees makes for a pleasing comp.

No nits really, although very, very, minor suggestion would be to clone out the few dark specks around the sky/cloud - probably birds as opposed to bunnies… :wink:

Lon

Wow, what a sunset, if the bird photography just wasn’t happening, I guess you just had to “settle” for this :grinning:

Very nice image Dave, processing, contrast and especially saturation look very good and natural for this type of a sunset scene. I think the composition is also nicely balanced, very well done. I also find the rim lighting on the top of the dark cloud to be a nice little bonus as well.