Refuge Sunset

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

I recently went to the Merced National Wildlife Refuge to get some wintering bird photos and, as I was leaving managed to get this sunset. I liked the flocks of distant birds in it. D500, Nikon 200-500 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, 1/1000th, f 10, 440mm, ISO 180, hand held, AI Clear.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Oh wow, what a lovely scene, Dave. Two things that I really like about this image: 1. The distant hill backlit by the sun is so pleasing to my eyes, 2. The birds seem to swirl around the sun. With that in mind, I think I would be tempted to crop out some of the real estate on the right hand side. What do you think?

Adhika-

I think you may be onto something here. I cut a bit off of the right side and a little off across the top. Looks good alright. Thanks!

This is beautiful and eye-catching! Love the birds! I enjoy it as presented, but can see benefit from a slight crop as @Adhika_Lie mentioned. Tiny nit - I’d be tempted to clone out what appears to be some haloing of the mountaintop in front of the sun…but perhaps that is not haloing, but rather the treetops on the mountain? Regardless, a great capture - I can’t stop looking at it!

Dave,

Gorgeous Sunset! Ya know, there’s a reason why we as photographers are drawn to these scenes… we can’t help it.

You’ve captured this beautifully. The large view of course reveals all the waterfowl. No nits or suggestions from me.

Makes me want to go there.

Lon