Passing permanence

There was fog on the Wisconsin river this morning, and I’m still working through those shots, but thought I’d post this one since it’s kind of cool. The water level is really low right now and so a lot of the rock of the river bed is exposed. For thousands of years this granite has been worn down and shaped the the water. There are seams and wells and even an arch or two along this stretch. You can happily spend hours here before the sun crests the treeline at this time of year and that’s basically what I did. The green in the pool is algae. The river hasn’t been this high since spring so this is rainwater.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any useful feedback is welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Handheld while sitting so elbows braced. It was tricky to place a tripod safely since there wasn’t a lot of room for both of us. Later I used the tripod as monopod to better effect.

Lr processed for a little wb adjustment as well as white & black points, clarity, texture and the square crop. Some lens correction as well. Local adjustment brush to lower the exposure on the nearer rock. Topaz Sharpen w/noise removal on high.

@the.wire.smith

This looks like a very fun place to photograph. The bowl of water in the worn granite is striking.

Thanks @Bonnie_Lampley - it really is and changes a lot despite there being a dam and penstocks just above this location, maybe because of it since they can change the water level pretty dramatically. It’s this low because of nature I suspect. We’ve had steady rain, but end of summer is always like this. The rocks are fascinating and I wish they weren’t so stained with tannins that you could see their colors better - especially the seams of different rock throughout. This was one of the better sections.

1 Like

Very cool, Kris. I like the pools in the rocks as foreground elements. The trees in the back give a sense of perspective and place. I also like the square framing.

1 Like

That is very cool Kris. This kind of reminds me of Sculptered Rocks Nature area in Hebron, NH, I don’t know if you are familiar with that or not.

Beyond the cool shapes of the rocks, I think the composition is very well balanced, and and really like your use of the square format. I also love how the lines of the rocks “point” at the early fall color. Very neat intimate scene. This is a matter of personal preference but my only suggestion would be to add some vignetting to the bottom two corners, a minor nitpick I know.

Thanks @David_Bostock & @Ed_McGuirk - not everyone is a fan of square, but I actually crop this way frequently. I could darken those rocks more and probably should. The sun was just getting above tree line and so bright.