Near the Basin

This image was taken shortly after my last post. This view is looking up a section of the Pemigewasset River from a footbridge. To get the shot I had to lower the tripod so that I could shoot between the rails. That still did not give me what I wanted so I had to put the tripod on two legs and lean it forward so that it rested against the middle rail and the camera hung out over the rushing water. Then all I had to do was wait for the lulls in the foot traffic so as to not have any vibrations while tripping the shutter. I cropped off about a 1/3 from the bottom. Hope that works for everyone.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D800, Nikon 17-37 @ 17 mm, f 14 @ 1/4 sec, ISO 400, CPL, MLU, cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

I like this image Ed. It is a pretty forest scene with really nice leading line and properly exposed water for my taste. Some people like to see to see more detail in the water. But I like the detail here in the main flow because the detail in the water coming over the rock is the key. I also the love the color and the detail in the forest. A solid shot all the way around.

Nice composition! I recognize the tripod-turned-into-duopod situation :slight_smile:
The water flow sucks you right in, as does the rock on which the water flows! I also like the second and thirds small flows visible. The green foliage in the back gives a nice second color. I would maybe dodge and burn some locally to steer the light and viewer a bit more. Maybe a touch of light at the top 15% of the frame?

Ed, as I told you while we were shooting here, I have attempted a shot from this location many times, and have never come away with anything that I liked. Then again, I never dangled the camera between the rails like you did, kudos for really making this work !!!

While the shutter speed worked well with the water flow, what I really like best about the water is the significant amount of flow you included below that drop in the rock. Including this much water flow really creates the sense of depth and motion that one gets in viewing this image.

This is getting super picky, but for some reason, there are trees at the Basin that seem like they were designed to create distractions around waterfalls (at least to me anyways). Not everyone may agree with this, but here is my attempt at addressing it in this case.

Beautiful Ed. This brings me right there and makes me think about sitting there dangling my feet in the cool, rushing water (not sure if that were possible, but I can imagine…) And kudos for taking the extra effort to gain that extra space below the water cascading off the rock - makes a huge difference. No need for detail in that water - but there is plenty of texture. Hmmmm, is that the same thing? texture vs. detail?

Composition is excellent as the eye gets led in to the background. I would echo Ron’s thought about giving the background greens a little boost in luminosity. Not so much to pull the eye as a distraction, but just for a little light levity - if that makes any sense.

Oh, curious if a polarizer was used? I’m leaning towards no. Along with Ron’s burn/dodge suggestion, I would include burning the long rock along right edge just slightly, and in particular where the light is more reflective (like what a polarizer might eliminate.)

All these are minor tweaks to an already beautiful scene and capture.

Lon

Hey, very nice shot, beautifull place. :slight_smile:

Love the warm tones and the path of the river drives the eye just perfectly.
IMO i would move that underwater boulder to frame it on the lower right point (3rd’s) and show a bit more of those green beautifull trees, but on the other side, losing that gourgeous water flow would be sad.

Ferrão

This shot is well worth the effort you took to get it. Don’t think I’ve seen this comp before from this area. I like the in your face look of the low angle view. The water flows nicely from back to front and the spring greens make for a nice backdrop. It not’s something you had control over, but I almost wish the the little flow on the left above the foreground cascade wasn’t there. It wants to draw my eye out of the picture. Maybe you could clone it out. JMHO.
:vulcan_salute::vulcan_salute::vulcan_salute::vulcan_salute: