Basin Intimate Scene

An intimate scene of The Basin, taken in Franconia Notch State Park, NH. This was shot during our recent NPN meetup where we spent a good deal of time trying to get different angles on this waterfall. I was attracted to the streamers in the flow of water on the left, and went for a tighter view that emphasized this.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any critique or comments are welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 5D MkIV, Canon 24-70mm f2.8 II lens, at 50 mm, ISO 100, 0.8 sec at f16

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Ed, I’m drawn to the flowing streamers on the left as well, but for me this composition just feels tight and I’m wanting to see a little more. I like the combination of softer moving water (still some texture) with the fine detail of the rocks. As nice as it is I’m left with the feeling I want to see a little more.

Hi Ed,

Did you consider a comp that doesn’t shot the waterfall connecting to the Flowing water in the llc? That is cropping from the right? My initial reaction was to not show the viewer the whole piece and let their minds eye complete the composition

I think the composition is pretty good. I believe a faster SS would improve this image to give the water more texture. I feel the biggest issue here is the water itself.

I rather like this refreshing view of The Basin, Ed. Sometimes I think we try to include to much in the image and we sometimes neglect the more intimate views. I particularly like the diagonals with the water flow and there is enough detail in the water to keep it interesting. The processing looks superb as does the color palette. Beautifully done.

Ed, I like the texture, I like the colors (especially the green in the water: so good!), but I am not too big on the composition on top. It feels like the scene is cut off on top and yet that is the area that I really like from the image.

PS. I can count with one hand how many images I have shot at 50mm. I don’t know how other feels about that focal length but I think it’s quite an awkward spot.

I really like the color and textures in the rocks. I do agree that a slightly faster shutter speed for more texture in the water would be a good thing. While I like the inclusion of the cascade, I would like to see more of it. The color and processing look very nice.
-P

Ed, I love this image. I always have such a difficult time with the Basin, because you’re very limited on that viewing platform, never mind the people coming to view it. It was a great choice to zoom in here. Shutter speed looks fine to me. I love the colors of the water and the shine of the rocks. One of my favorite places.

The only thing that bugs me a little is that notch in the rock in the LRC. That really pulls my eye, but I also can’t see any crops to remove it. Not sure how you would feel about cloning, particularly because I’m the only one to mention it…

When was this taken? I was there after a hike on Saturday 6/20, and the flow in that area was really big. I wish I had my camera with me.

@Igor_Doncov @Ed_Lowe @Craig_Moreau @Adhika_Lie @Preston_Birdwell @Nick_Bristol @Nathan_Klein thanks for all of your comments and input, it is appreciated. I know this is a tight composition for this scene, but I wanted to post something different than the wider view of this same location recently posted by Ed Lowe. I guess it’s mixed results in that regard. I’m somewhat surprised that the general consensus is asking for a faster shutter speed for more definition in the water. I actually quite like how the longer exposure made the water look in the falls and in the LLC, just personal taste I guess.

@Adhika_Lie regarding 50mm, just for fun I did a quick search of the approximate 29,000 images in my Lightroom catalog, and I have 56 that were shot at 50mm :thinking:

@Craig_Moreau this image was taken on 6/14/19, the water flow this spring was the best that I have seen in 25 years. I believe you are from CT correct? It 's too bad you didn’t make it up for our NENP / NPN meetup on 6/13 to 6/15. If you scroll back a couple weeks in Landscape and Flora Critiques you can see a number of shots from that meetup from myself, @Ed_Lowe, @MikeLowe, and @Patricia_Brundage, including a killer sunrise with lupines from 6/15.

Yes @Ed_McGuirk, I am from CT. It sounds like it was a great time, and I have seen many of the photos posted. Really great stuff from all on that trip. Maybe next time!

When I was there the next weekend, many hikers were saying that it had rained all week, and the flow at the Basin definitely showed it. Water was flowing heavily even to the right side of the main fall.

Ed,

I think this is fantastic. I love that you really focused on a tight composition - not quite abstract, but definitely about shapes and flow, rather than rocks and waterfalls. Not sure if that makes sense.

I especially like the water coming off the rock wall just right of top center. I understand the desire for more texture in some areas of the water, but I think here it’s form and flow over texture and detail.

Beautifully seen and crafted.

Lon

Ed, I like this more closeup view, but would like a little more at the top. Not much, just a tad. I do like the water. To me that’s the star of the show.
:vulcan_salute: