Intimate Pemi

Even though conditions can change in a scene from year to year; or visit to visit for that matter; I decided that rather than shoot basically the same image again I would get in a little tighter for a more intimate view of this section of the Pemigewasset River. Even though it is not your typical grand landscape I think the section of the Pemi that is viewed from the bridge is quite beautiful and very photogenic with it’s many moods.

I probably have half a dozen images from this section that I really enjoy. Now I just have to find a couple more next month during the NPN’s NENP meetup. :grinning:

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D800, Nikon 35-70 @ 70 mm, f 18 @ 0.3 sec, ISO 400, CPL, cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

A soothing intimate landscape with nicely shuttered water. I wish that the rock didn’t cut off the flow of the water, probably unavoidable in the composition. There seems to be a yellow cast; I think I like it with a cooler balance.

This is somewhat of a different take from this well known location. Having shot here many times myself, I have to say that the tree in the URC frequently causes me to have compositional headaches. You did a pretty a pretty good job of minimizing its impact as a distraction. I find it interesting that @Kah-Kit_Yoong thinks the image has a yellow color cast. The rocks at this location naturally have a very warm color, and this image looks pretty much like they do in reality. With that said, I think you could create some more color contrast by applying some cooling to the shadow tones, while leaving the midtones and highlights on the rocks as is. My only other suggestion for improvement is to burn down the brightest parts of the rock on the left to create a little tonal balancing with the rocks on the right.

If we have an overcast day during the NENP meetup, we will definitely go here. Have you ever been up to nearby Kinsman Falls, which is another 15 minutes hike away? That’s another location I’d like to shoot during the meetup, it usually looks great in spring with a good water flow.

Ed,

I like the “flow” of the composition - despite the water disappearing behind the rock as Kah Kit mentions. There still is enough of the water in the UL to suggest flow through the frame. The comp is also an excellent intimate view of these little falls.

Other than burning down the brighter areas of the main rock on the left as has been suggested, I have no nits. Color cast? At this level, it’s pretty much personal choice. For me, I usually let the water speak to any color balance needs.

Well done!

Lon

All’s been said above, Ed. I Think this is a very interesting location and definitely has a lot of potentials. I am sure the NENP meetup is going to be a blast!

PS. I also have the 35-70. Which one do you have? Mine is the 35-70/3.5AI-S and that is hands down one of my favorite lens to use.

Thanks guys @Kah-Kit_Yoong, @Ed_McGuirk, @Lon_Overacker and @Adhika_Lie for your thoughts; always appreciated. I will be the first to admit that my images are sometimes a bit warm, but I am just not seeing it in this one. Here is a repost with the rocks on a left burned down a little to more closely match those on the right. I did put 5 points of blue back in the image to hopefully correct the warmth.
@Kah-Kit_Yoong: Unfortunately the only way to possibly show more of the rriver would be a higher vantage point of which there is none as I was shooting from a bridge.
@Ed_McGuirk: Mike and I have been to Kinsman Falls and you are right about it being a great spot. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. Looking forward to the meetup.:grinning:
@Adhika_Lie: I have the older AF 35-70 2.8 push/pull lens and it is superb. It is also one of my favorites.

1 Like

Ed, I really like this more intimate and closer view of this falls. Nice change of pace. The repost has a very subtle yet noticeable difference which I happen to like.
:vulcan_salute:

Ed, I was at this location yesterday. Due to snowy winter and rainy spring, the waterfalls are running great. The spring foliage in Franconia Notch has just barely begun to turn, I would say the cold spring has pushed stuff back about a week later than normal. By the time of the NENP meetup on 6/14 we might only have early lupines, where normally they would be near peak. But waterfalls will be no problem this year…