Mist On The Pemi

Pemigewasset River, Franconia Notch State Park, NH

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D800, Tokina 17-35, 1.5 sec @ f/19, ISO 200

5 Likes

Oh Michael you’re making me homesick. The Pemi is such a great river. I put a foot through some ice on it once. Yikes. I love its non-tannic aspect. The water is so clear and shows off those rocks.

The mist in the opening at the back is magical. Given how you’ve highlighted the trees there, I think opening up the shadows on the left would help keep my eye from straying there as much as it does. The trees to the right, having light leaves, show up better and so it feels a little off-balance, but oh what a great scene. It also seems a bit on the warm side, cooling it down could bring out some subtle color distinctions. The faster shutter speed has left some texture in the water and I love the tone of it against the rocks. Well done.

Beautiful take on the Pemi, Mike. We certainly had some wonderful conditions with the fog that morning; to bad they didn’t last longer. I can still remember how cool and damp the air was as we walked into the woods that morning. My only suggestion would be to what @Kris_Smith said about the shadows on the ULC. The SS works nicely and I do like the coloration of the rocks in the river. This would make a lovely print IMO.

Simply spectacular Mike. You have done a great job of capturing these very special conditions. There must be something about the conditions in Franconia Notch that are conducive to having this low lying mist, I have seen this happen here several times in both spring and fall, usually right after a rain ends. You have also done a great job of presenting the warm colors in the rocks, that exactly how they look in real life.

In terms of tweaks, I agree with @Kris_Smith about opening up the ULC a bit. And more subjectively, I would consider a slight crop from the bottom, to tighten up the way those small boulders in the LLC exit the frame. I think you can crop from the bottom and still maintain most of the water flow in the LRC.