Pemigewasset River

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A nice misty morning on the Pemigewasset River in the White Mountains Of NH.

Technical Details

Nikon D800, Tokina !7-35, 1/4 sec @ f/16, ISO 800

1 Like

This is a lovely quiet scene. Great use of the shutter speed to show movement of the water while also still leaving some texture. Maybe the only critique, and it’s just very very minor would be the empty brighter spot of water near the middle of the image. Maybe tone it down a tiny bit, but that’s nitpicking on what’s an excellent image.

I would also like to see some closeup shots of the smaller rocks interacting with the water. Not sure if that’s your style or if you have any abstract or detail shots? I looked through the rest of your portfolio and your images are all fantastic.

Thanks, Jason. Your website looks great. Glad to see you’re wearing appropriate footwear. That’s just a Gavin Hardcastle joke. If you’re not familiar with him, check him out on Youtube. Hilarious . You’re right about the water. I just did a quick jpeg for the web and din’t spend as much time on it as I should.
My style is anything and everything. LOL. I just didn’t take any intimate shots this morning cause I wanted to concentrate on the foggy conditions.
Thanks for the compliments.
:vulcan_salute:

1 Like

Haha! I love my chacos and hike in them all time. It’s a step up from the flip flops that Gavin wears. Hahah!

We had some wonderful shooting conditions that morning and you definitely made the most of it with this capture, Mike. The light fog certainly set the mood that morning; I just wish it had lasted longer. This has a peaceful vibe as well as a bit of mystery with the BG fog. My only suggestion would be to tweak those highlights just a little as @Jason_Ray_Photography already mentioned. You should make a print of this as it is a beauty.

I see you have reposted this picture. I thought I remembered it. I do believe the highlights need tweaking, as mentioned. The one in the middle of the picture may have blown out the highlights. I do not like heavy frames, but that is a personal decision.

Michael, this is very nicely peaceful and inviting. The foreground rocks and water motion show well, while the touch of fog in top half sets the emotion. It’s easy to imagine sitting here quietly watching and listening.

Gorgeous!!! Such a nice progression from the FG water, which is an image in its own right, to the graceful trees. The fog has simplified them wonderfully! I can hear the rushing water.