Passing through the Sal forest

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A small herd of elephants passing through the Sal forest, on way to river Ramganga. These purple flowers are very special, they blossom only for a short period during the spring season.

Specific Feedback

At present I’m just learning to process the light as landscape photographer…

Technical Details

Canon R 5; 500 mm; ISO 500; 1/800 sec. at f 5.6

2 Likes

Hi J.,
wow, this is again a fantastic image. You caught a great moment here. The scene is bathed in warm light and the elephants are perfectly framed by the trees and the beautiful flowers.
Well done!

1 Like

Hello Jagdeep, this is an excellent composition, and the contrasting sunlit color of the ellies is so complemented by the forest as well as the wildflowers. Honestly, Jagdeep, I always feel intimidated at the thought of offering you any critique. But I had two technical reactions to this image as I was admiring it.

Almost immediately I had the thought that the sharpness of the elephants (especially the one ‘leading’) is so strong that the animals almost seem to have been pasted into the scene. My eyes seemed to notice this sharpness most especially along the edges of their backs from rear to their eye, and then everything seems fine. I wondered to myself if a slight change in the subject mask might change that – or if I’m just not used to such sharpness in my own images.

My second thought came on more gradually. I slowly realized that the shadow beneath the two elephants seems a lot deeper and darker than the other shadows on the ground. I don’t know whether I’d change it, because it’s so effective at defining the shapes of the animals (“light illuminates, shadow defines” – Charles Glatzer). But just maybe the shadow would benefit from being opened up just a bit, to give more hint of seeing between/behind/beneath them?

I sometimes feel that I may be speaking out of place because I’m still so new at NPN. I hope that my comments reflect my great admiration for this image. Best regard – Michael

Wow, great composition and timing! The repetition of the shapes of their trunks and legs is excellent.

1 Like

Dear Michael,
Thank you so much for your response, I appreciate your views!
I’ve been using certain adjustments to the max, so I may be over stepping. And certain things like sharpness, also very from monitor to monitor.

Jagdeep: golden light, elephants in synchrony and elephants framed by their surroundings. Excellent!

1 Like