Pasture Sunrise

I was running late to meet up with friends in Utah for early light. As I pulled out from where I was camping, I saw this scene and pulled over and set up as fast as I could. It was serendipitous to be late this time. I was going to name the image Running Late, but that would only make sense to me.

I took the liberty of cloning out two somewhat blurry deer from the pasture area. D810, 24-70mm

3 Likes

Beautifully seen, Harley. The light on the two trees is gorgeous but what makes this image for me is the strong diagonal line of the cliffs moving up to the left upper corner. It gives the image a real sense of dynamism. The visual mass of the cliff face on the left side perfectly balances the brightness of the pre-dawn light in the lower left. Very nice. As a post script, I’d add that the graphic and geometric dynamism of this image suggests that it might also work very well in monochrome.

Harley, this is beautifully warm and inviting. Serendipity can be wonderful.

Harley, IMO this might be one of your best ever. Which is saying a lot with numerous memorable ones. A truly enjoyable sunrise image from a wonderful area too… :+1::+1:

The bright orange in the sky is just amazing. It looks as though the luminosity and colors in the trees may have been enhanced a bit. The trunk of the tree on the right starts to fade as you go up. I’m curious if that’s due to some dodging that was done in that area.

This would work well in a more panoramic aspect ratio as well. You’ve got a lot of horizontal lines and shapes here.

Serendipity is a wonderful word, but I always have to look up it’s meaning.

I love the light and colour in the two trees as they really nicely balance out the sky. Beautiful work!

This is superb, Harley. Very well balanced composition and beautiful color contrasts. I think that faint oval cloud at top was an “image maker” - adding further interest and great balance. Fine as presented but I might experiment with adding a touch of contrast to bring the cloud out a bit more. The other thought would be to tweak the hue on the smaller tree away from green to gain more color separation from the foreground.

Harley,
This is outstanding. I love the diagonal line with the cliff, but what makes the image for me is those two trees basking in that subdued light. I could see taking down the saturation in the orange, but that is a personal preference and not a critique. Sometimes it pays to be late and this is one of those occasions.

Stunning image Harley. The composition is absolutely breathtaking and the colors are exquisite.

Harley,

When I first saw this I had to make a double-take after seeing this was yours! Unlike most anything you’ve posted before and so kudos to you for recognizing the opportunity and taking great advantage of it.

This is awesome! The comp is great and I love the relationship between the pair of cottonwoods(?), the tones and angle of the geology - all balanced with a gorgeous sunrise sky. I can’t think of anything I would change.

Very impressed how you managed the exposure and even more impressed if you managed this from a single exposure. Well done sir!

Maybe I’m seeing things, but the only small observation is that it looks like there is some color fringing(if that’s a term…) on the edges of the trees. Perhaps the trees were selected to bump a little? Not a big deal by any stretch, but again just an observation.

Love this!

Lon

This is certainly very nicely done, and well seen. It is a departure from most of your work, and I like this direction you’ve taken.

The color looks great to my eye. Maybe it’s just my old eyes, but I am not seeing the fringing(?) to which Lon refers.

Well done, sir!
-P

Outstanding, Harley! Wonderful composition and colour. The lines and graphical elements in this scene really make this one for me. Kudos on a cracking shot!

Wait a minute, you, being late? I ain’t buying it. There is no one on earth that gets up before you do. This is really nice Harley. Knowing you aren’t necessarily a color sunrise/sunset guy, it’s nice to see a divergent opportunity work out for you. Colorful and very nicely composed. Excellent.

This is certainly one of the most spectacular images that I’ve seen lately. Wonderful. I hate to get up early, but some scenes are worth it. Great composition, great colours in sky, rock and trees.