Peaceful Morning

Recently traveled down Oregon coast to northern Ca. Taken just south f Crescent City on a trail. Glorious light all morning.

Specific Feedback Requested

Comp and processing

Technical Details

70mm f/10 3.2 sec iso 250

1 Like

No kidding Mario, that lighting is excellent and you have captured it nicely. The light filtering through the fog gives the photo great depth. I don’t think the bottom portion of the photo adds much overall and would consider a 4x5 crop eliminating the bottom portion, just a thought.

3 Likes

Your use of shadows is very different from the usual images shot of these flowers there which normally are of low contrast and a bit warmer. I find your approach interesting. My first reaction was to suggest raising the shadows but that’s not your intent at all.

Lighting is wonderful. Very moody and captures the feel of a temperate rain forest. The muted tones juxtaposed to the vibrancy of the flowers takes this picture up a notch. My first impression was to crop from the bottom exactly as Youssef has suggested. Much more effective as a 4:5.

1 Like

Wonderful capture Mario. You got the flowers at full peak. Great timing. I much prefer the cropped repost as it removes the darkness of the bottom of the frame. As Igor said, these types of foggy woodland redwood scenes are generally less contrasty and have a softer, lighter feel to them, more mid tones than full spectrum. I do like the approach you’ve taken here but would also like to see a more traditional repost with the blacks brought up and mid tones flattened just a smidge for comparison sake. You have incredible, soft light with no highlights blown out which is sometimes hard to get with these images. Well done. Well timed. Beautiful image. Is this Del Norte?

Thank you @Youssef_Ismail @David_Haynes @Kerry_Gordon @Igor_Doncov for your comments. I had not seen any images of these scenes so the initial image is de novo for me. I appreciate the comments. Repost shows Davids suggestion of a more clasic presentation. I brought up the shadows and reduced the contrast. I like both but the repost better reflects what it felt like that morning. Thoughts?

1 Like

Also @David_Haynes I believe this is the Damnation trail although I did visit Dell Norte. I have been really trying to pay attention to the histogram and thus no blown out highlights.

Refined with a crop @Youssef_Ismail @Kerry_Gordon @David_Haynes

2 Likes

Definitely takes a very good image and kicks it up a notch!

Mario,

Lovely take from the redwoods. An image I’ve yet to experience myself - on my bucket list, these redwoods when the rhodies are blooming.

I hadn’t really thought about the contrast until I read the discussion. While I certainly liked and enjoy your original, I believe your final crop and re-work best captures the conditions and redwood forest in the fog. Great job on the rework!

Lon