Pel's, Finally

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

As I look back on some of my 2023 highlights, this was definitely my “owl of the year.” I love owls, and was fortunate to add a few more new species this year, but the Pel’s Fishing Owl required the most work.

I first traveled to Zambia in 2021, and looked for them with my guides every day (and night), with no luck. Returning with a tour group this year, the Pel’s was still a bit of a personal goal, and thankfully my group was eager to see it as well. Late in the trip we finally got one, and the sighting and photo op ended up being far better than I would’ve expected for a daytime encounter.

On one of our final nights, we had another Pel’s show up at our lodge at dinner time.

Technical Details

Canon R3
Canon 600mm
ISO 1600
1/1000th
f/4

2 Likes

Given the level of difficulty a little out of focus foreground greenery is no surprise, Max,and doesn’t detract significantly from the image. Great catch. I do like the slightly mottled lighting on the bird.

1 Like

Hi Max, congrats on getting this subject. Your perseverance paid off in a very fine image. Love the backwards look right at us. While I like this composition, I could see trying another version cropped in some from the left if you have the pixels (might reduce affect of the oof vegetation). A terrific image either way.

1 Like

Hi Max, what a unique looking owl. Those dark eyes like deep pools. Wonderful image. Congrats on getting one this trip.

1 Like

what a unique looking owl

Bigger and more beautiful than I expected. I was happy that I was able to capture the barred pattern on the back.

1 Like