Austral Pygmy-owl

There are a few reasons I time my Patagonia trips for May. One of them is the preponderance of autumn colors in the area, which can make for some nice backgrounds if you find a cooperative subject. I often hope to find Austral Pygmy-owls perched in front of some of that foliage, which is easier said than done of course. However, at the very end of this year’s trip, we were leaving the hotel that acted as our home base for the week… and had an owl waiting for us in the parking lot.

Canon R3
Canon 600mm EF + 1.4x
ISO 5000
1/400th
f/5.6
(Hand-held… the tripod was packed away!)

Max

@maxwaughphoto

4 Likes

Wow, that is just perfect. The big branches frame the small owl so well. The direct look and detail is really something. I like the placement off to the right because it balances even though the owl is relatively small in the frame. The background is subdued, but of interest as well. Just a hint of talons, too.

1 Like

Wow, this couldn’t be any better, Max. Excellent all the way.

1 Like

Not just in the hotel parking lot , but with a gorgeous perch and background. A wonderful image, Max.

1 Like

A very enjoyable composition with excellent detail and color. The background is perfect

1 Like

Wonderful, Max, and I am so thrilled that he posed for you as you were leaving, and for him to do that in the parking lot area on this lovely perch with that nice BG. I know you felt like your trip was now complete. Excellent shot.

1 Like

Hi Max
Ok You have the background, a tree in the perfect yoga pose and a Pygmy-owl saying how lang do think I am going to wait for you. What more can a person ask for.
Peter

1 Like

What an amazing setting for this bird, I love the way you positioned it in the frame. Congrats on the EP, well-deserved ! Cheers, Hans

1 Like

Wonderful subject, perch and BG, rendered with great detail. And wonderful hand-holding – that lens is a barbell.