Hi There!

My last photo opportunity on our trip to Costa Rica was with this nest of baby Ferruginous Pygmy-Owls. It was located in the suburbs quite near a street and we were shooting from across the street. I used a lot of electrons on these and this pose with only one chick showing was my favorite.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything. I’ve played with the crop on this a lot and with rotating the palm trunk to a more vertical orientation, though it was slanted like this in real life. I’d appreciate input on those aspects particularly.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, monopod with Wimberley Sidekick mount, f/9, 1/1250, iso 5000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 3066x4302 from a horizontal original. Taken at 2:13 PM on April 27th under cloudy skies (just before the afternoon rains hit).

3 Likes

Fun!! The chick is obviously vertical and the trunk believably slanted. The tight crop works to enhance that point – excellent idea. The irregularity of the leaf scars adds to the tree’s chaotic appearance, as does the ragged nest hole. The chick’s appearance is appropriately humorous, and I love the off-center comp vertically, to give the whole thing a bit of an unbalanced look. You’ve left me with a big smile!!

Like Diane, what a sweet shot. I like the small slant of the tree too. The tree fibers hanging around the hole add to the fun along with the bug eye owl. The textures of the tree kept me in the photo. Your photo along with my coffee made my morning. Thanks.

So engaging and dynamic - that bird has so much presence and I think it wants out! Great catch and skill to manage all the settings and variables to get it. The slant is part of what makes this work so well so thanks for not ‘correcting’ it.

Cool shot! The little fella looks hungry!

First of all, I laughed when I saw this bug-eyed bird peering out that hole. I think the composition is engaging, and the tight crop helps. Well done.

1 Like

Very cute Dennis. The level bird in the slanting tree with superb textural patterns along with the expression on the little owl chick are priceless. Very good job in difficult shooting conditions. Very enjoyable and humorous image.

Hi Dennis
The Ferruginous Pygmy-Owl is vertical and that all the matters. The larger post, convinced me the Owl deserves a titer crop, he just too cute.
Peter
Ps
The Owl looks like its getting ready to introduce Gonzo on the Muppets show.

1 Like

What a cute little owl, Dennis, and captured so nicely.

I love the comp you’ve used for this Dennis. The open beak and bugged out eyes just have me laughing. This is so captivating. It almost looks like an animated character. Almost like a little old man. I definitely would not straighten out the tree. It looks very normal particularly for a palm tree.

I’ve seen lots of pygmy-owls, but never a chick. Yikes! :wink:

I think the orientation works well here. It’s a fine portrait and a great find, Dennis.

@Max_Waugh The find was no thanks to me. Just that great network of guides/birders in Costa Rica.

Like @terryb, I laughed out loud when I opened this up. It’s perfect!