Things Are Looking Up

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This youngster and three nest mates grew up just down the walkway to the beach from us. It was fun to watch for several weeks as they grew and started to bust out of their palm tree nest. I’ll probably share a few more as I go back through my photos this winter and process/reprocess.

Specific Feedback

I placed the owlet low in the frame to try to accentuate it looking up at something. I also really liked the filtered light coming into the shaded tree. Hoping it is placed well and lit well.

Technical Details

7D-MII, iso 800, f8, 1/500 sec, +.3 exp bias, 437 mm (100-400 lens with 1.4 Ext)

2 Likes

I like this image a lot, Ed. Not only the owlet looking up but the palm fronds hanging down in vertical lines and the way they contrast with the horizontal rings on the palm trunk. Detail in the owlet is excellent and when you can get a nice sharp owl eye, it’s always a winner.

1 Like

Excellent comp, Ed. Perfect placement of the bird. Sharp, nice colors, congrats!

An owl in a palm tree was unexpected for me, after seeing loads of images of owls in snow over the past week.

I really love the light & colours here, nice one!

A unique and well composed image Ed. I like the space you kept on top for the reason stated. Nice view of the owlet with a sharp eye and fine exposure. Well done.

1 Like

@Allen_Sparks, @mdjnewman, @David_Bostock and @Dennis_Plank you are all very kind, and I appreciate your comments on this. These owlets were the gift that kept on giving for a long time.