Petrified Colors

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Believable rendering?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Late afternoon sun perfuses the broken end of a large petrified log revealing the luminous depth of the exposed myriad colors. Ferric oxide (Hematite) imbues the quartz with red; iron hydroxide (hydrogoethite), with yellow and buff; chromium ions, green; cobalt ions, blue.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 30D; Canon EF 16-35mm @ 35mm; f/5.6 @ 1/160 sec, -2 EV, ISO 100; Gitzo tripod. RRS BH 55, remote trigger

Specific Feedback

Whatever you wish, positive or otherwise

1 Like

Bob, my mind sees rock or perhaps tree bark but the colors have me guessing. I’m sure this is a multiple exposure but I can’t make out the source images. I like the depth in the image.

Thank you @Alfredo_Mora for your comments. This is a petrified log, so, yes, it is rock and that includes the bark. It is a single image. The colors are natural and made more luminescent by the afternoon sunlight’s intensity and its color. I am attaching an image, full front, when the light was flat. The area of interest, where the posted image was focused on, is the edge of the lower segment of the upper right quarter of the log. The description discuses the origin of the colors.

Oh wow that is interesting Bob. Thanks for providing the context.

Thank you @Alfredo_Mora for your understanding. When I initially encountered this specimen, in the flat light, I was wishing I had an auxiliary light or two. Then, as if on cue, the sun broke through strongly and solved the problem. Divine intervention.