Pileated Triple

Taken a couple of years ago in early December after a huge snowstorm. Snowshoes definitely required. Spotted this cedar tree with what looks like a triple tenement building. Judging by the size of the holes, probably pileated woodpeckers, but could be used by any number of critters now.

Specific Feedback Requested

Should I crop even tighter? It’s not a huge crop now, but I thought the environment was important, too.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Handheld

Pileated triple

Lr for all processing, but it didn’t need much. Curves adjustment and a tiny exposure boost. Texture & clarity, sharpening and the crop.

@the.wire.smith
1 Like

The Pileated has done it’s work well here. The angled trunk and the clean holes work well, Kris.

The environment definitely adds to this image Kris but I might take just a smidge off the top. I have never seen triple tenant holes like this before and they are all in such good shape.

Fascinating! I find the contrast in the BG competes for attention a little too much but not sure if it can be tamed well.

Our Acorn Woodpeckers are very sociable and like to live in apartments. I should see about photographing one nearby, but its on the underside of an overhanging branch and the light will be a challenge.

Wow, those are giant holes! I’ve never seen woodpecker holes that big here in northern California.

It does feel a bit top heavy to me, I think because the size of the holes increase as you go up the trunk + there is more room above the top hole vs. room below the bottom hole. I think the background adds a lot to the photo and its story. So, I thought that maybe warming up/brightening the trunk and increasing the detail in it while decreasing the clarity + cooling the background would make the trunk more prominent. I took the liberty of doing that, to see if it would work. I also cropped it, but I’m not sure that works. Here it is anyway.

Oh that works, @Bonnie_Lampley - I’m happy you took the time.

Pileated woodpeckers are (I think) the largest in North America - they’re a little smaller than crows, but not much. They are a very important species because of the really big nest cavities they make. If they are abandoned some species of owls will use them. Also certain ducks like hoodies and woodies. We have an old pileated nest in the yard and I love to see the ducks whizzing around through the trees and landing to check it out. I never quite see who wins each year because the leaves grow in blocking the line of sight to the nest. I bet kingfishers appreciate woodpecker nests, too since they are also cavity nesters and we don’t have the high earth banks on the river here for them. But we do have kingfishers so they’re borrowing something.