Pinhão parallels

Taken from a rabelo boat, this is a great example of how the steep valley of the Douro river has to be cultivated - with great care, precision and intense labor. It’s not possible to get machinery to aid with any part of the grape growing process so it is still all done by hand, And it’s worth it. Not just for the port, but the table wines are gaining prominence, too.

Specific Feedback Requested

The sky is what it is and I tried not to make it too overwhelming. Any feedback is welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Lumix G9
Leica DG 12-60mm f/2.8-4 @19 mm (38mm equiv.)
f/8 | 1/340 sec | ISO 200
handheld

Lr processed for exposure & a fairly big crop to emphasize those marvelous terraces. Some color channel mixing to enhance greens and deepen orange. Local adjustment brush in the sky to bring down exposure & highlights.

@the.wire.smith

@Kris_Smith oh Kris, you were shooting on my backyard, how can i not love this image. :smiley:

Douro Vinhateiro (Vineyard Douro) is a heaven on earth with its valleys and colours, on the autumn, especially on the harvest weeks, this place is full of life.
Hope you got the opportunity to taste some wine and olive oil from there. :wink:

I love the image, it brings me lots of great memories. If i would change anything would be crop from the left just a bit to make the curves end on the edge and delete a bit of that blue sky space.

Other than that the only way to make it better (to me) would be enjoy it with a glass of tawny port. :grin:

Thanks @João_Ferrão - I had a feeling you would like it. It was one of the best trips I’ve taken and as I’ve said before, I’d go back to Sintra in a heartbeat. The Douro valley, too. What a sexy landscape.

Funny…I had originally cropped more off the left, but then I saw it eliminated the end of the walls and wasn’t sure it would work. I guess it might.

Kris, the parallel lines of the terraces work very well. The mix of green vines, blue sky and white clouds is great. The row of trees along the bottom is a nice addition.

1 Like