Piping Plover

Hi All,

Another shorebird from last weekend. This one is (I believe) a piping plover, but again, please correct me if I’m wrong.

In post, I cropped to vertical, cloned out a dust spot, sharpened a touch, and ran a curves adjustment. All C&C welcome.

Techs:
D850
500mm f/4 AF-S II, handheld
ISO 640
1/8000 (just noticed the shutter speed. Looks like barely held onto the whites. Should’ve either gone down on the ISO or closed down the aperture)
f/5

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@feelingruby

2 Likes

Lyle: this photo has the three elements of an excellent capture, those being light , subject and composition. The bird appears to be on a mirror in a blue world. My only it would be to try and bring up some detail in the whites. Great otherwise. Richard

1 Like

Wonderful! The water is amazing! I love the placement of the bird to allow the reflection to fade out gradually with plenty of room below it. The darker blue at the top is a nice framing element. I keep wondering if I would move the bird just a bit more toward the right – but just a bit.

1 Like

Hi Lyle
Vary lovely Piping Plover, it just floats on the background. You could bring down the exposure and that may bring out more detail in the whites. The only other thing I would do, is to crop the lower frame some. Nice work.
Peter

1 Like

Very well done because of composition, light, and color gradations.

1 Like

Nice minimalist look. Yellowish tone of the piper goes well with the blue background. great photo

1 Like

Excellent composition, and a great subject to have in such a large ‘empty’ surrounding. Love it. I notice on my screen a very slight vignetting, most noticeably at the upper side of the image. Other than that, fine a presented ! Best, Hans

1 Like

Not much to say other than I really like this shot. Well done.

1 Like

I love your use of negative space here. Wonderful image.

1 Like

I love this photo, Lyle, especially with the negative space on the bottom. Definitely a well thought out and captured image. As someone else mentioned, I would be curious to see how this cute plover looks framed a little more to the right. Great image nevertheless!

Incredibly mystical and almost haunting image Lyle. I apologize for just now seeing this. What a fantastic image. Everything about this image falls into place. Like @Richard_Sandor said, you have fantastic light, a great subject, and a compelling composition. You also have a great body and head angle, a slightly lifted foot, the open beak, and the utterly clean foreground and background with zero distractions. If you can pull just a little more detail out of the whites near the bottom of the wing would make this a 10 out of 10. Superb image Lyle.