Point and shot camera for landscape

I am planning to visit Xinjiang next month for the autumn leaves and landscape photography. Initially I was thinking of getting the Nikon 14-24mm lens for my D610 but the hefty weight of the lens makes me think twice. Do not fancy lugging the gear around for 3 weeks.

Is there a point and shot camera with wide angle available in the market? The alternative is to get a lighter weight wide angle lens for my camera. Any suggestion will be appreciated

Gary

Welcome to NPN Gary! I don’t think you’ll find a point and shoot with an ultra wide lens, around 24mm is the widest I can think of, the Sony RX100 is one of the best point and shoot cameras out there.

If you’re willing to go a little bigger but still be pretty lightweight here are some options:

Sony a6500 with a 10-18mm f/4
Fujifilm X-T30 with a 10-24 f/4
Olympus OM-D E-M10 with a 7-14mm f/2.8

or you could consider a GoPro which is equivalent to 14-28mm

or just put a 16-35 f/4 on your D610…

1 Like

David, thanks for the comprehensive reply.

I am an actually a ‘legacy’ NPN member :). Have not done much photography for some time but hoping to re-ignite this hobby with some new toys and travel.

I forgot to mention that I also have the DX Nikon 10-24 for my D90. I have tried using the DX lens on my D610 and the image is acceptable at 16 mm onwards; thus there is no advantage in getting a 16-35mm FX lens which is heavier than the DX lens. The total weight of D610 (850g) and 10-24 DX lens (462g) is 1.31 kg

I am tempted get a mirrorless system to complement my DSLR gear and I am attracted to the Fujifilm system. However there is nothing much to be gained in terms of total weight X-T30 (869 g) and 10-24 f/4 (410g) of 1.28kg. The 8-16mm would be wider but it is double the weight of the 10-24 and cost twice as much!

Therefore I think a compact camera will be a more suitable supplement/backup to my D610 + 10-24Dx lens. How does the Lumix TZ200 compare to the Sony RX100? The formal has a longer zoom range of 24-360mm compared to the Sony’s 24-200mm

The Sony has a better and faster lens, better AF and the range is quite acceptable, so that would be my choice but I think you would be happy with either!

How about a Sigma DP1 Merrill? 19mm prime lens with a leaf shutter on an APSC Fovion sensor. Take tack sharp, stunning images that rival most DSLRs in a point and shoot body. High ISO performance sucks, and dynamic range is low, but the results they can produce are amazing. Shoot raw and convert to tiff in Sigma software.

I love mine because people leave me alone. They figure I’m some looser with a point and shoot on a tripod.

1 Like