Point Lobos Seascape w/repost

Repost 2 - Reduced saturation in sky.

Repost - I removed the small distracting rocks on the right edge. This solved my cropping dilemma. I also made the horizon more level.

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Large surf prevented me from getting close to the water and down to my favorite rocks so I was relegated to photographing from the trail along the bluffs.

Specific Feedback

For some reason I keep wanting to crop a bit off the right hand side of the image, but can’t make up my mind. Any input is welcome.

Technical Details

Canon R5 w RF 24-105 L
8 sec., f22, ISO 100
Polarizing filter plus 6 stop ND

2 Likes

This is a really beautiful image that captures the feeling of the area. The shutter speed is perfect for the motion of the water and the composition is very nice.

I can see why you might want crop a bit off the right, but I think you will then end up cutting some of the rocks on the right in half.

Hi Paul,

Great photo. The composition is engaging At first I thought it was a night time long exposure due to the soft shadows, but then reading it was Point Lobos, that could not have happened. But it does look like an early-morning photo with the long shadows over the water in the foreground. I can understand your inclination to want to crop from the right side, due to the small rocks that are just poking up out of the water and nearly touching the edge. But if you do that then the edge will just get close to larger rocks, and then where do you stop cropping? It is a great photo of Point Lobos as is.

Will and Youssef,
Thank you for your input. The softness in the image is due to the large amount of moisture in the air from the high surf. I brushed in a little dehaze in a few places to make some of the detail stand out.
Youssef, did you ever get your 4x5 shot of the Milky Way? Good to hear from you.

Hi Paul,

I got close with my last attempt this past July. I need better tracking equipment, so until I can get that or find someone willing to let me piggyback on their rig, I will have to wait until I can afford the equipment.

That’s really nice Paul; a well-deserved EP. I love the technique you used with the ND filter; it really makes a fascinating combo with the light you captured that in. I’m going to need to remember that trick in the future.

I vote no on cropping. My only nit is that the sky blues seem a tad oversaturated. Dropping that a bit would let the beautiful ocean colors stand on their own a little better IMHO.

Not sure how I missed this before, but I have to add my praise for a wonderful shot! The 8 sec exposure is wonderful, with the magical mist and still some detail in the water. I’m glad you didn’t crop. Removing the two small rocks was a good idea. (The less flexible among us can pretend they are just washed over by the waves.) Congratulations on the EP – well deserved!

Thank you, John, for the input. I have reposted with a desaturated sky.

1 Like

Thank you, Diane,
I had to give some consideration to removing the small rocks, but can justify it because of restrictions in place at Point Lobos. I have to stay on the trail and that precluded changing my camera position.
I have 2 nights reserved in Bodie July 1st and 2nd. Let me know if you are interested.

Love how it competes less with the water

Beautiful work. It’s nice to see that the crowds are not affecting all photographers to the area.

I’ll look at the workshop details but should wait to commit – I did something to my lower back setting up the star tracker back in November and still trying to get somebody to figure out what’s going on. If I recover a little and you have a last-minute spot and I can get a room, I’d love to sign up!