Post sunset reflections

Description: This is one of a series of shots I took of this beautiful lake in the Canadian Rockies this fall. After the sun went down there were beautiful reflections of the trees and the light and I played around with different combinations. There is some reds but the picture is mostly blues and cool.

Specific Feedback Requested: Any and all is welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: sony a6000, 10-18 lens, 14mm, f/18, 2 seconds, iso 100, tripod and shutter release. Some cropping and light corrections in lightroom.

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites) no

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

Nice one! Lots of drama, but a sense of peace, too. The mountains on the far left seem a bit too blue, but the sky looks natural. That little bit of warm color in the middle is really nice. Have you played with bringing up the edge of the shoreline at all? Those greenish-yellow plants might benefit from a lift and would help sculpt the light through the scene. Sweet location!

Thank you very much. Is this what you in mind? I wasn’t sure if it made sense to add similar levels of exposure to each green area or to adjust according to level of darkness.

Pretty close! I don’t know what you use for processing, but if you use Photoshop and have or will get the TK8 plug in, I can walk you through more precisely. Or if you use Lightroom with the latest masking tech, I can help there, too. They work similarly, but there is more precision with Photoshop and the TK8 tools. You hit the blue of the mountain as well as the line of greens, but you can probably fix that.

Tamar, this is a very peaceful and reflective (pun intended) view. While I think the adjustments reduce the peacefulness, in the long run, it’s all about what you think/feel.

Very nice image. I like the comp. I might drop the overall saturation a tad.