Lake Louise at Sunset

This is an iconic shot that is a blend of two images for depth of field.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any and all.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any and all

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
3 Likes

I really like the light, the colour and your processing. It looks really well done! But while I understand that you wanted to include the rocks in the foreground, I wish there was a bit more room at the top, especially on the left side.

Fabulous image. Well done! Small nit: maybe lighten up the shadows a little bit? The lack of room at the top on the left doesn’t bother me. The visual “center” is off center, more to the left, so I think it balances the composition quite well.

Lovely image Greg, I would experiment with a 4:5 crop, to me the edges are not adding much to the scene, this also helps take some weight away from the mountain on the left and makes the foreground a bit more cohesive. I like the shadows the way they are, leaves a little mystery but they’re not inky black. Did you blend in a sky exposure? I notice a little halo around the mountain on the left, the sky may have looked that way, but it’s a bit distracting. Oh yeah, I also rotated it just slightly, even it was level my eye is a little bothered by the way the shorelines make it appear unlevel. Great work!

2 Likes

Thanks @Tom_Nevesely, @Tony_Siciliano , @David_Kingham for all the great input. With regards to the wall on the left there wasn’t much I could do about that. I had my wide angle pretty maxed out and I always have to have some kind of foreground in these shots or in this case the rocks. As you can see from the reflection the mt. wall continues on up to where it goes up drastically, so I settled for this. I pretty much left the shadows alone because I wanted to be a darker shot that still showed all the details. Thanks for the leveling David I don’t know why forget to check that all the time. This also is a blend of two consecutive frames shot for the sky and the foreground, in which I always create a mask to allow me to go back and forth in my processing. But the glow I think you are referring to was an attempt for me to correct a mother nature glow that I came up short on. In the original file there was a slight gap of light where there weren’t any clouds, so I tried to clone clouds in that area. But didn’t do a great job. Thanks for pointing that out. So I went back in with a 4 pixel clone brush and went all across that interface and cleaned it up from side to side. On the crop I am not much of a 4x5 person. I pretty much always do a 2x3 or 5x7 for no particular reason. So what I have reposted is a 5x7 crop that has been leveled and cleaned up. I hope it looks better.

2 Likes

Greg, this is pretty dang nice. I’m a sucker for these kind of reflection images, and this ones a keeper for sure. The changes bring it up another notch. Well done.

Thanks @Gary_Phillips I appreciate the kind words.

Greg, I think this looks great. I like the presence of the foreground rocks. Keeping them dark keeps them from dominating the view. I see a pretty strong halo on the mountain on the left in the standard view, but it’s much better in the larger view. Halos on a very sharp transition often come from using Adobe’s clarity slider.

Greg,

Fantastic take and interpretation from Lake Louise. Love this.

Lon

Love the color composition in this image. I guess Lake Louise is known for that but at this low light the color of the water is even more interesting. Would like more of the rocks at the bottom but I can see how that would have been difficult to include in this comp due to the reflections.

Thanks @Igor_Doncov, @Lon_Overacker, @Mark_Seaver for your input and kind words.