Sunset over the Loch

Specific Feedback Requested

Would be interested if people think the photo is too dark, I like the transition. In respect of the composition I am hoping the rocks in the light breakup the image and provide some balance to the mountains on the left. the only adjustments made are to increase whites and reduce highlights in Lightroom. It is uncropped, would you crop it differently?

Technical Details

Sony A1, 24mm, ISO 100, F18 , 6 sec

2 Likes

It’s a nice composition and you caught some great light, but for me this is a little dark. This is obviously completely subjective. I like a little more shadow detail, photographers shooting in a more documentary style may not. Either way, cool shot.

Welcome to NPN! I like the transition from the dark tones and cool colors on the left to the light tones and warm colors on the right. In terms of the overall darkness of the image, I think it depends on what you are trying to say. The way you have processed it puts an emphasis on negative space and mystery.

Roderick,

Welcome to NPN! Glad to have you here and what a fabulous first post!

Dark, sure, the obvious areas are dark and actually create a bit of empty space. And that doesn’t always mean that’s a bad thing. I think this works beautifully, especially given the light and sunset conditions. And I agree with you all the rocks in the water work well to give some balance to the scene.

I suppose, you could shave a little off top and bottom which would make a more pronounced and effective panorama. At least I think it would.

I have no nitpicks or suggestions.

Thank you for posting and we look forward to your images and participation in the forums and galleries!

Lon

Welcome to NPN, Roderick. Terrific first post too. It’s not too dark for me because it brings out the richness of the light. The rocks break up the reflection nicely and provide balance. Great capture and terrific processing.

I look forward to seeing more of your work and to your contributions here.

Hey! When I first saw this photo, I didn’t think it was too dark, but I did want to see just slightly more of the foreground area where the bottom rock is in the bottom right corner of the frame. That may be increasing the shadows of the darks in Lightroom just slightly. Those minimal adjustments can really make a photo shine. Honestly, this kind of dark photo reminds me a lot of photos by Ryan Dyer, and how he creates a lot of that moodiness and the darkness of his photos.

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions and the warm welcome to NPN.
I hadn’t really thought of the picture as comprising negative space, which it I now see, but was rather drawn to the absence of colour and detail.
I will try raising the shadows in the corner as suggested to increase the visibility of the bottom rock. Will also try cropping top and bottom to make it slightly more panoramic. I shall also look up Ryan Dyer as suggested.
Once again thanks