Prairie Dock Sex

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D500 200-400mm f4 + 2x Teleconverter, 800mm (1/100 sec at f13, Iso 800) Extensive crop, Levels, -2 reduction saturation of yellow, Shadows & Highlights, Brightness & Contrast. I went out right before sundown with the hope of capturing some prairie dock flowers in the waning light. Unfortunately, the wind was quite strong, and hundreds of bumblebees were visiting anything that was in bloom in my prairie. Prairie dock plants like other members of the genus Silphium rely on insects for pollination. …Jim

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Jim, It is a very nice composition. I also like the extra buds. Nice background as well. The bee looks sharp, but the flowers need a little more details on the petals. for 800 mm focal length and extensive crop, it still looks sharp enough - something about the lens and the technique.

1 Like

Jim: Really good use of your long lens rig and a testament to good technique. I don’t think most folks recognize how difficult it is to get sharp captures with a highly magnifying lens system. Besides magnifying the subject it also magnifies vibrations and movements. This looks good to me; simple subject superbly captured and rendered. >=))>

1 Like

Composition is perfect and the background and bee also work well. I think there is enough in sharp focus in the flower to carry the image.

No nits from me. Nice shot. The oof bg is great

1 Like