Preparing to fight

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Morning low tide . 12 bald eagle of varying maturity feeding in the mud flats and fighting over fish scraps left on the boat ramp by fishermen. So many images, most not sharp but this is one I liked. What followed was a blur and hard to capture.

Specific Feedback

Any recommendation is appreciated

Technical Details

Z8, 560mm, f/8, ISO 2200, SS 1/1200. Noise reduction in LRC. 50% crop. WB adjustment. Hand held.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Emotional Impact:
  • Mood Creation:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Textures and Patterns:
  • Use of Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Subject and Genre:
  • Post-processing:
  • Technical Aspects:
1 Like

Wow! Great action here Daniel. You got really good detail in the feathers on both birds. You might want to see if you can dial back the very bright whites on the one eagle a bit. Nice shot.

That must be something to see that many bald eagles together in one place, in nature and not a cage. I see one or two fly by once in a while or one sitting high up on a microwave tower. I would be going crazy taking pictures if I were in a place like you are. I zoomed in on the pic to see the heads and they look really good. While looking around at the pic I could see where you caught sand flying in the air from the wings .
If I had this shot, I would add a little color to the water and clean up some of the items in the pic like the rocks in front of the bird beak on the left and the thing behind the bird on the right, like a stick or something.
This is a GREAT shot Thanks.

Thanks for your suggestions. I will remove the rocks in front of the beak and repost. Adding color to the water proved difficult for me because and I a novice with PS

Hi Daniel, really nice interaction you captured. Good sharpness on both birds. The whites look hot on the adult eagle. I wonder if they could be recovered more in ACR. Still a nice catch of an intense moment.

Great composition, Daniel. I can see Allen’s suggestion on the adult eagle’s head. I almost always use manual exposure for eagles because of that white head. I just find something white to focus on and make sure I’m just under being overexposed in that area and use those settings unless the light changes. There’s some out of focus weirdness going on in both the foreground and background that my eyes find disturbing. I run into it now and then with grasses, but haven’t seen it in rocks before. I’ll usually select the subject and put it on a separate layer so I can work on the background without hurting the it. Then I’ll go over the background with the blur brush in PS until that strange look goes away.

Thanks Dennis. I am very much a novice with PS and layers. I will give it a try and repost.

Excellent interaction shot between the two, Dan. The poses are terrific. I could see playing around with the foreground rocks. There are many options and much is a matter of taste, but I could see decreasing the clarity and highlights, and maybe contrast.