Processing for emotion

quiet, muted colors

brighter for more cheerfulness

off center for some drama

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

On a bright, clear fall day, I enjoyed watching and photographing as individual leaves floated past with the reflections adding color and context. For this trio of photos, I felt that the processing details made a big difference in the feeling that I got from the photo. Fall is always interesting in that there’s a mix of sadness that winter is coming and joy from the beautiful colors in the leaves and grasses. For me, the slight difference in brightness between 2a and 2b takes the view from being quietly gentle to the joyful. With the centered leaf adding to the stability in 2a. Moving the leaf off center with the crop in 2c adds a bit more drama.

Technical Details

R5, 100-500 @ 500, 1/60 s, f/13, iso 200, tripod and polarizer.

Mark, they are all very good, but I really like what you did with the three images, and your explanation as to why you did what you did. a nice teaching point! :+1: :+1:

Mark, a wonderful idea that evokes a different feeling from the same image. All 3 work for me, but lean toward the quiet one to be sympathetic toward that feeling in the end… :sunglasses:

Lovely! The first, for me, for the leaf not being quite so bright.

Mark, I like 2b. The other two, where the leaf is centered, feel like the leaf is competing with the very detailed background. In 2b, the larger leaf takes “control” of the scene. It is more prominent and demands attention. The background takes on the role of support, and the composition feels balanced.