Purple Finch at Drip

I finally started getting my blind and ponds in shape for the summer after things settled down a week or so ago from spring activities. I went out this morning and spent a couple of hours there. This was one of my favorites of the morning. The birds very rarely cooperate when they drink from the drips like this and usually have their backs to me, so this was a treat. I wish the spotlight had been on the face instead of the tail, but that’s life.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Any pertinent technical details:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 484 mm, tripod with ball head and Sidekick, f/8, 1/500, iso 1250, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped slightly from the right and top and an out of focus stick in the upper right corner removed. Taken this morning at 8:19 am.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Now that’s a great stretch. I like the diagonal, detail, color and shading, and the perfect background.

Great pose and action and nice background.

I must admit I have some issues with the Human and Fauna category. Frankly, I would put this shot, as well as most of the shots in this gallery, in Avian or Wildlife. Which you did with the other shot of the Purple Finch. I would reserve this category for the fauna that is no longer wild-like my shots early in NPN 2.0 of rescued raptors taken at Keith Bauer’s Bosque del Apache workshop-I would not want a casually observer to think these were wild birds. Aside from actively baiting, feeders and water features that are for the long term benefit of the birds seem reasonable to exclude from this gallery. I know photographers that are ‘pishing’ to attract birds or playing recordings of bird song. That is clearly a human/fauna interaction, but those photos are not likely to show up in this gallery. At some level all photographs of wildlife represents an interaction between the human photographer and subject. Just my two cents and something that has bothered me since NPN 1.0, where at times it struck me as a way to get a weekly pick (that doesn’t seem particularly relevant any longer in NPN2.0). PS- I’m not trying to put you out of a job, though I would like to see you added as a third moderator in the Avian gallery. I think the addition of someone who comments on almost every photo submitted, and with good insight to boot, might well attract more participants.