Quadruple breasted yard birds

The real test of an autofocusing system is how well it can acquire a moving object and separate it from the background; not focusing on the background as one pans. In this case this is my Nikon D 500 and 500 PF along with a 1.4 extender. The Nikon does a pretty good job and I think almost better than Sony in this instance. This was taken yesterday. I wish there was more detail that could be derived from the dark plumage on the leading cormorant. At least they are both in focus.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso-1250, 500 mm +1.4 extender, F8, 2500th, handheld, 50% of full frame or about 12 megapixels out of 20.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Good look at the pair and good separation from the background. I like that the background is something other than the sky. Must be nice to have cormorants as back yard birds. Did you mean “quadruple crested” for the title?

Hi David, I like this with the birds flying in a diagonal through the frame and both in focus. As you said, the D500 did a fine job in catching the birds rather than the background. Nicely done.

I like the diagonal also. IQ looks good. To get that dark plumage fully lit, the light would have had to have been just a bit lower in the sky, it appears. I think I’d consider cropping in a bit from the bottom and adding a bit to the top, and possibly coming in a bit from the right and adding a bit to the left so the birds have a little more room to fly up and into. Otherwise, the BG is a little bright and busy for my tastes.

Excellent, David. Great positions for the two Cormorants and the detail in the male is fine. You might want to add a touch of blur to the background-it has a kind of grainy feel.

No noise reduction in this image.