Cormorants In flight

Image:

Two cormorants in flight above Henderson Inlet in Puget Sound

without blur

Just testing out my 1.4 extender with 200 to 600 telephoto Sony. First time I’ve used this extender with this lens.

Specific Feedback Requested: any

So yes there is some image quality issues with this as I was expect at high ISO and enlargement.
This was processed with DxO photo lab five and Topaz DeNoise. I didn’t use any other Topaz products for this image. I did blur the background a bit using Kris Smith’s method.

iso 5000, 200- 600 plus 1.4X, f10, 2000th, 25% of full frame Sony A1

2 Likes

This looks pretty good for image quality. Yes, maybe a touch soft, but not bad with with ISO.

I think the background feels a bit too soft and not quite natural. Don’t know how much blur you applied. If you’re using Gaussian Blur, you should take a look at Surface Blur and compare the results.

1 Like

Nice double catch of these cormorants David. Birds look reasonably sharp given the crop and ISO. Background looks fine to my eyes.

Pretty good for the circumstances, David. I’m not bothered by the background blur. With your location it could easily be completely smooth if the birds were moderately close. I’ve been pretty happy with that lens and extender combination.

Thanks for your comment. This was a 12% gaussian blur. I have enclosed the non blur version for comparison.

Hi David
I think I like the shot without the blur. In DXO Photo Lab 5 did you use DeepPRIME auto or manual mode? I think you could also try using selective tones to nock down the kick of the Cormorants back and DxO ClearView Plus to pick some detail.
Peter
Ps Nice catch on the the two Cormorants.

Not bad at all, David.

I generally prefer the auto mode. But I also use Topaz DeNoise after I have used DXO. Topaz is used for micro contrast. And remember, this is iso5000 25% of full frame.

Hi David
I have good luck with ISO up to 10,000 but I seldom go below 40% of full frame.
Peter
Nice work.