A Single Serving of Double Crested Cormorant to Go!

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I spent a good portion of my day off practicing on capturing flying birds. Double crested cormorant’s flight is direct and the Z9 was able to pick them out quickly from the surrounding sky. I wish that there was some other features to provide context, but most of the birds were fairly high in altitude when within range of the camera. I did bring up the shadows quite a bit and with a strong crop for comp, I was surprised that the image held up quite well…

Technical Details

Z9 600mm f4 (1/2500 sec at f7.1, ISO 400) Autofocus large area-animal detect. Levels, Shadows & Highlights, Topaz DeNoise AI, Crop for comp.

3 Likes

Nice catch, Jim. And great work with the camera kit for Birds in Flight. I have recently been trying to catch Tree Swallows in flight…they’re so fast it’s nearly impossible.

Cheers,
David

1 Like

Very good, Jim. Image quality is excellent. I think to get good background, the idea is to catch them against the sky coming in and let the AF tracking hold them until there’s a nice background. The tracking systems seem much better at holding than acquiring with a busy background.

I don’t notice any obvious noise from bringing up the dark bird.

1 Like

Hi Jim,

The details are great, even in the shadowed portion! I don’t see any degradation at all from the large crop.
I think the wing position presented here is one of my favorite, the other is at the same angle but above their body.
DOF is spot on as well!

Well done!!

1 Like

Hi Jim, nice in flight pose and I like the upward angle of the cormorant. Good wing position. Sharpness looks good too. The sky looks realistic as well. Nice image.

1 Like

Hi Jim
Very good photograph of this Cormorant. The number of times I have tried to photograph Cormorants in flight and come with a black bird with no detail.
Peter

1 Like