Double-crested Cormorant

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Double-crested Cormorant (Nannopterum auritum)

I was surprised to see a Cormorant at a nearby industrial park setting…I saw him/her swallow a fish nearly his size before this shot.

Specific Feedback

Let me know if the colors look ok. I warmed it up slightly from the auto white balance settings.

Any other comments appreciated.

Technical Details

600mm, 1/1600 @ f/8, ISO 6400…(I was on birds-in-flight mode so the shutter and ISO were a bit high)…

2 Likes

The detail is wonderful here, David… :+1:

I like the wing position; very nice pose. Colors look good; always like that blue eye against the yellow/orange bill. Excellent detail as well.

Really nice shot of the cormorant hanging out to dry here David. I love the eye color against the beak color here too. Details are really good, tough to get with a black bird.

Nice pose you captured David. And as others have said, really love the emerald eye on these cormorants - well rendered here. Nice exposure too. The wavy water is a nice touch too.

@Paul_Breitkreuz, @Allen_Brooks, @Ed_Williams, and @Allen_Sparks thanks for the kind comments. I really appreciate them. Looks like I’ve finally figured out a way to deal with my color blind issues.

Thanks,
David

Veeery nice!! Subject, detail, composition, setting, pose – all excellent. And the colors look perfect!!

You caught a really nice angle here, David. A very typical Cormorant pose, but the angle makes it a bit unique and provides a very nice view of the face with that gorgeous eye.