Pelagic Cormorant

A rather ancient looking bird. I like the green eye and the iridescent colors.

Specific Feedback Requested: Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7DII; Sigma 150-600 at 435 mm; 1/2000 at f6.3, +1/3 EV; ISO 640

1 Like

Very cool bird! I’ve never seen the species in the Pacific Northwest. I have plenty of Double Crested Cormorants in my neighborhood but this one is new to me. I like the pose and the composition. Excellent depth of field. The head is really sharp but there is some softness to the rest of the bird and probably F7 .1 or F8 would have given you a little more depth of field.

1 Like

Thanks for your comments, David. This was taken along the jetty in Florence, Oregon and I’ve seen them in Newport along the jetty and around the Marine Science Center.

1 Like

A very nice look at this cormorant. Softer lighting would be better, but the colors look pretty good in this light. The negative space looks good with the OOF ocean in the BG. You could also pull off as more tighter, vertical crop if so desired. Well done…Jim

2 Likes

I Allen
The colors reflecting off the Cormorant feather are very cool. The framing works for me, like having the Cormorant looking off into space.
Peter

1 Like

Allen, the colors are really neat in the Cormorant, and I really love those green eyes. Nice shot!

1 Like

A nice look at a new bird for me. The bright sun captured the iridescence nicely – this dude looks a little like he had a run-in with an artist’s inkpot.

1 Like