Pelagic Cormorant

A bit soft in spots, probably due to attempts at noise reduction. Was practicing birds in flight and didn’t change the speed.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7DII; Sigma 150-600 at 600mm. 1/2000 f7.1 ISO 1000

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Very good, Allen. I find Cormorants of all species rather elusive and this is a very nice swimming pose. I don’t think it’s really soft. I think that’s just the surface water film on the bird making it look that way. You might play with subtly brightening the eye. These have such cool ones that it’s nice to show them off if you can still keep it looking natural.

Thanks for commenting @Dennis_Plank. I agree with you about the Cormorant eye and usually do try to brighten them. Probably did here, but agree could use more if possible.

Really interesting bird and a nice capture of it - really like the pose. They do have great eyes - I’m not familiar with this particular species so can’t really comment on eye brightness.

I also like this quite a bit. Excellent pose and composition. Because of what Dennis discussed, to me, the larger image has a painterly feel to it. Wet seabirds are very difficult to process with sharpness. My guess is you probably could have cut the iso down to 500 and cut the shutter speed to a thousandth since it is not flying. The amount of crop would also affect the clarity.