Pelagic Cormorants and re-post

I like the concept, though not so sure about the execution. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7D II; Sigma 150-600 at 600 mm. 1/800; f9.0; ISO 250.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I like the concept Allen. I might crop both the right and the left, the left more than the right. I am also having trouble if that is clouds or ocean waves, but I suspect it is clouds. When I look at it I am drawn to the background more than the birds. I think the cropping idea is something to try making it a portrait. I love the contrast in the rocks a lot.

Hi Allen:

I too like the concept. Very nice with the placement of the cormorant on the top of the rock. I also like the splash of ocean behind that bird to accentuate the contrast between that bird and the background. I think the thing that holds it back for me is the unfortunate poses of the other two birds. Maybe there’s another frame where they were doing something. Probably impossible to get the nice wings out pose on the top bird and have the others doing something. Oh well, so goes the life of a wildlife photographer!

I’m in the same boat, Allen. A really nice concept,but something about it falls a bit short. Part of that, to me, is the shape of the rock the Cormorant is on and the way the water is visible underneath the left side of it. I have no idea if it is possible at this location, but if you could somehow get a little higher and closer you might be able to isolate the upper part of the rock against the waves, eliminate the couple of out-of-focus foreground rocks and then just wait for the cormorants to show up (the hard part).

Thanks @Dean_Salman, @Keith_Bauer, and @Dennis_Plank for your comments. I’ve re-worked this taking into consideration your thoughts. Dennis, the birds were a ways out on a jetty, and though I’ve clambered over these rocks, almost to the end of the jetty, in the past, it probably wasn’t the smartest thing to do with waves crashing on either side of the jetty. My camera might get wet.

Yeah. David Schoen and I did some of that last summer and I slipped once-not a pleasant experience. I do like this version much better. I think it has a lot more impact.

1 Like

Much better idea. I wish for an even closet look at the cormorant plumage.

Very nice and clear. I love it!!!