Red Catch (with re-post)

Here is the original, color image:

I think this is a non-breeding Caspian Tern, its crown peppered black and white.

Another overcast morning. I edited this as black and white, and brought back the color of its bill for something different and fun, drawing attention to this nice, juicy catch!

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments are appreciated!

Technical Details

Sony A1 with 200-600 f/5.6 lens.
600mm, f/8, 1/320 seconds, ISO 1000.

Basic edits in Lightroom, Topaz Denoise, and Photoshop for B&W Adjustment layer with mask to bring back the color in the bill.

2 Likes

Hi Mark
First you give us Turns in slow shutter speed and a wonder colored spray and now B&W with red bill and the fish, not fair. Yo did a great job with this photograph.
Peter

1 Like

@peter , ha ha! I’m trying to keep things interesting, and I’m willing to try out a few more off the wall edits. Anyway, thanks very much.

It might just be personal taste, but I’d rather see it all in Black and White or all in color. The black and white with the splash of color just looks unnatural, so much that it’s a distraction that inhibits me from enjoying the image. From how I imagine it, I think this would work nicely in color, or in black and white with a strong vignette and slightly more contrast. Nice catch! :wink:

1 Like

I must admit, had you not said this was black and white, I’d have assumed it wasn’t. I’ve seen water this color naturally and the tern is black and white outside of the bill. I guess it would be interesting to see the color image for comparison, but I rather like the image as you presented it. The lines through the water are of interest and the colorful bill does draw our attention to the catch. Great timing on this one; a lovely image.

1 Like

Thanks @Eric_Bennett and @Allen_Brooks for sharing your thoughts. Eric, this was a different kind of editing for sure, which is why I selected the “edit” tag. Like I said, I was inspired to do something different and not the usual, for some fun. Not for everyone, for sure. Thanks for commenting! Allen, I thought the same thing after converting to B&W, that it looked pretty natural. I posted the color version for comparison. I much prefer B&W!

Sure. I think the color version looks great though. Nice and natural and the white bird pops out against the green water.

1 Like

Generally, I’d prefer the green water, but I do like the black and white treatment of the tern, it gives it a “clean” look . Either way, a fine image and great timing.

1 Like

I like both versions, Mark. The modified B&W seems to grab me the most. Though I think it’s an optical illusion created by the angle of flight of the tern, this feels to me like it could use some clockwise rotation. It gives me the feeling that the tern is about to take a header into the water at this angle.

A very cool treatment of a fantastic capture! I love the B/W version with the colored beak. For me, in the original color version, the water is not very exciting. I wonder about altering the greenish color toward blue. I agree with @Dennis_Plank about a rotation, to level the ripples in the FG, but you would have to add canvas unless this is a crop.

Thanks @Allen_Brooks , @Dennis_Plank and @Diane_Miller ! Thanks for your feedback. I agree, it needs to be rotated just a bit. The lines of foreground water make it look off-kilter.

Mark, this is terrific and what a wonderful treatment–B&W with a touch of color. Awesome.

1 Like

Thanks @David_Bostock !

I vote for the black and white too, Mark! I came in late to see both versions next to each other and I was still fooled thinking the black and white was a color image and trying to figure out what you did until I decided to read! Love the motion in the water from the Tern which I think the black and white brings out more.

1 Like

How did I miss this one, Mark?? Another different take on using longer shutter speeds than otherwise needed for a sharp image and as usual, I like. Well done. That fish sure looks like it needs a bath. :slight_smile: I prefer the original post to the color post. Nice job with this one.

1 Like