Red-ear Tusker in musth

Specific Feedback Requested

I had a close encounter with this gentle giant this month, do you think this close up works?

Technical Details

Canon R 5; 200 mm; ISO 800; 1/500 at f 4.

4 Likes

Works for me just fine, J. The frame filling image has a strong impact. Truly a gentle giant reflecting a bit of aging and sadness as well. If these big guys could only talk I bet he could share some real history of his tough life in the wild… :+1:

1 Like

It’s a sensational closeup, J. It feels very abstract until you notice the eye then it blooms into an elephant. Well done.

2 Likes

Very well put on that observation there, David… :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Love the colors, patterns and lines created by your close-up, J. It does have a bit of an abstract feel and so beautiful.

1 Like

By coincidence, I posted some (African) elephant textures on one of my social media accounts today, so I’m loving this! And what I find interesting is that my own shots focused mainly on the cracks and wrinkles I was seeing, whereas this image shows a relatively smooth surface, with the texture being provided by that amazing speckling in the skin. The colors are really what set it apart though… not what one initially expects to see in an elephant close-up.

1 Like

It most definitely works! Another elephant masterpiece!

1 Like

My first impression of the thumbnail was: a colourful rock formation. It works!

1 Like

Thanks @Max_Waugh , would love to see your image !

Thank you so much friends, for your kind comments :pray:

Thanks @Vanessa_Hill !
I’m loving shooting elephants again after a gap of two years, due to pandemic !