Red Fox Squirrel

I love these orange squirrels - really think they are pretty. This image was taken at a resort in northwest Tennessee in front of their butterfly garden. The squirrel was on top of a decorative canoe munching on nuts. He had no fear of me whatsoever.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

Canon 90D, 300 f4L IS, 1.4x TC III
ISO 400, f8, 1/500s, hand held

Red Fox Squirrel

@allensparks.wildlife

1 Like

Squirrels are great subjects. Very cooperative. Great detail on the squirrels. I like the green, faded background on both, but sometimes I like to see some backdrop, but still VERY soft. I like to see environment. I’m always a sucker for wildlife staring at you. I also like no Christmas lights on the first one, but took a minute to notice, since the subject really stands out.

Very good, Allen. I like both images with a slight preference for the second, despite the setting. The fact that the setting is in focus rather than the out of focus foreground greenery of the first makes it a bit more appealing to me. Besides, I used to live in an above-garage apartment and I’d string Christmas lights along the edges of my deck in season. I came home one evening and found a bulb on the ground-after investigating, I found a bunch that had been nipped off the cord by one of our invasive Eastern Gray squirrels (we had tons of them because of the filbert and walnut trees at the property).

Allen, I think squirrels are really cute, and love to watch them. Not familiar with the Red Fox Squirrel, but we do have Fox Squirrels here in NC, but they are grey with black markings. Much larger than the regular squirrels on the east coast anyway. See them on golf courses a lot.

You really captured two nice poses. I love that they you got him with a handful of food. I think I agree with Dennis that the second one would be choice for the same reasons. Wonderful details in both. Well done.

Very cute Allen. I appreciate you showing the second image of him in the canoe. I love the little paws holding his food catch. Great angle and a dreamy background to set him off nicely.

This dapper dude belongs on the cover of the squirrel analog to Gentleman’s Quarterly magazine. Cute pose, nice soft BG, and a hint of foreground greenery make this a fine comp. Awesome results…Jim