Red Sky Reflection - Mallards in the morning

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I took this image one morning two years ago of the pond in the back of our home when the wind, sky, clouds and sun rise all combined to produce a red reflection on the pond and two mallard ducks (male and female) happened to glide into the scene. The stillness of the water and the red reflection caught my attention.

Specific Feedback

A standard critique with comments on composition and technical details; exposure, etc.

Technical Details

Image taken with Canon 6D with Tampon 100-400 IS lens, 1/125, F8, 1250 ISO (I still default to ASA) hand held.

2 Likes

I like this, but I do think the ducks need to be more sharply focused.

This is lovely and peaceful. Given the motion blur that’s clear in the largest view, you might want to keep this at smaller sizes. The strong minimalism (and emotional content) of the scene comes across well at the smaller display sizes.

Thank you so much for your comments and critique, I was aware of the motion blue in a larger view, but did not expand the view to see how much it is, it is better at a lower magnification.

thanks again.

I love the color of the water, Ian. It makes for a great silhouette. I never used the 6D when I was doing Canon, but I suspect you could push the iso to at least 3200 with modern noise reduction and given that it’s a silhouette you don’t need to worry about losing detail in noise reduction.

Well seen image, Ian. I too would love to the a bit more sharpness to the ducks. Personally, I would blend in the light reflection in the bottom left, as it is distracting, at least to my eye. Nicely done.