Mallard Drake

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I went to our local pond yesterday and the recent rains had raised the level enough to cover a lot of the pond lily stems and clean up the backgrounds considerably. However, the light was very dim and the only species that ventured within range was Mallards. I only saw one Wood Duck at the far end and a few female Buffleheads well out of range. So I worked on seeing how low a shutter speed I could get away with and did some reflection and ICM shots of the surrounding forest (840mm ICM’s are interesting).

Specific Feedback

Anything you care to comment on. The greenish red water is accurate-the forest here in the winter is dominated by mosses, lichens and the red of alder catkins.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, monopod, f/9, 1/40 sec, iso 1000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Still quite a bit of feather debris on the water that I cleaned up. Cropped to 6548x4617. Taken December 12th at 8:43 AM under heavily overcast skies.

2 Likes

Very nice look at the mallard. Even some detail in the tail feathers, which I usually blow out. The water colors work well to complement the duck.

Fabulous!! Mallards are not easy – the head so often comes out black and the whites blown. The calm water and reflection are wonderful! No suggestions!!

And yes, I love telephoto ICM. Hoping to see some!

Nice catch of the bird, Dennis. The smooth reflection really makes this image shine.

Looks crisp and the lighting provided fairly rich colors on the head of this drake mallard. Sharpness and comp are excellent and I have no nits for you. …Jim