Female Mallard

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another from my trip to the local pond a couple of weeks ago. This wasn’t aggression, just a stretch in a preening sequence.

Specific Feedback

I’m not sure what’s going on with the base of the neck. It looks rough and almost out of focus, but nothing else in the duck does, so I have to believe it’s her and not the image. As with all the images taken that day there was a lot of cleanup on the background, so please point out anything I missed r anomalies that look weird.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 437 mm, monopod, f/8, iso 2500, 1/400, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 6990x4482. Taken at 9:27am on November 15th under overcast skies.

The detail looks excellent and I like the layering in the wing. Looks like the clean-up went well, leaving a nice background. Perch is nice as well.

Hi Dennis, nice pose you caught. I like that there is separation with the log and head. Clean up looks good to me. Intriguing image.