Female Wood Duck-Eclipse Plumage And Repost

Original:

Repost:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is another one form David Schoen’s and my outing of a couple of weeks ago. This female was preening herself after a bath and adopted this “photograph me” pose for a few seconds in the middle of her toilette.

Specific Feedback

This is a substantial crop, but the detail held up pretty well and I could probably take it further. I do like the curve of the grasses, but I’m not sure about the lily pads.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 & 600 mm, monopod with Sidekick head, f/6.3, 1/1600, iso 2000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 3648x2502. Taken June 27th at our local pond.

2 Likes

Composition and details are awesome. Good job on the DOF. Color is outstanding.

Hi Dennis, nice pose she gave you and you captured it well - nice sharpness and tones. I like the overall setting we see here and the lilies laying flat on the water add another level of interest to me. The bright part of the large upright pad on the right draws my eye and doesn’t add much to image IMO. Toning it down or cropping much of it out may be something to look into. Always love seeing wood ducks so thanks for sharing.

Dennis, what a shot. I love her pose, and such details in her feathers. I think @Allen_Sparks suggestion is a good idea. Otherwise a perfect shot!

Thanks for the feedback. I recropped it a la Allen and did a few other touch up things that I probably should have done in the first place.

Dennis, the repost looks great to me. Nice work.

Good look at this girl and such a regal pose. The repost is very nice.