Male Wood Duck in Eclipse Plumage

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This one goes back to late June. Just poking around in the files. I liked the wake around the duck as much as I liked him.

Specific Feedback

I liked the 3-D feeling of the wake, despite the relatively steep angle of the shot. I’d liked to have cropped a bit more from the bottom for the reflected head, but didn’t want to lose the wake and didn’t like the way it worked as a semi-panorama, so this is where I ended up-comments?

Technical Details

Sony A1 FE 200-600 @ 600 mm, monopod with Wimberley Sidekick head, f/6.3, 1/1600, iso 1250, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. I used my old Topaz Detail plugin to emphasize the wake contour and he feather texture of the in-focus portions of the duck separately. Cropped to 5855x4042. Taken at 10:09 AM on June 27th.

Great look at this wood duck Dennis. I’m not used to seeing them in this plumage so this is a real treat. Love the view of the red eye - really nice. Nice details and tones throughout - I like the subtle light. I see what you mean about the crop. I’m thinking about trying just taking a smidge more off the bottom and see if you like that. Having just the neck and no head seems a bit odd. Nice catch either way.

Mighty fine wood duck portrait. I too can imagine just a touch more cropped from the bottom. I am yet to get any decent wood duck photos. I’ve not had any luck getting anywhere near them and they spook so easily. I lust for a shot like this of one. Wall hanger, I say.

Dennis: I really like the ripples around the wood duck as well as the duck’s plumage. My nit would be not being able to see the duck’s head in the reflection.

Hi Dennis
The lighting eye contact and coloring on this Wood duck is great. Are you saying the head was not fully in the raw frame ? If it was, I would like to see this shot opened up some. I would like to see the reflection of the head and I think a wider frame would help on the steep angle.
Peter