Wood Duck Stare

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Went out to our local pond yesterday morning and the Wood Ducks are there in force. Unfortunately, the fall debris is also there so the water is pretty ugly with floating debris and the stubs of this summer’s pond lilies still sticking out of the water.

Specific Feedback

Leveling this one was an iterative process, since he actually has his body cocked a bit. Hopefully this looks reasonable. I went with the tight crop to keep the amount of water cleanup to a reasonable level.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 +1.4 TC @ 840 mm, monopod, f/9, 1/500, iso 2500, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 2584x3151. Taken at 9:00 AM under overcast skies.

1 Like

Oh what a little menace he is! LOL. Seriously looking like a badass, but they’re so tiny they make me laugh. Gorgeous plumage and symmetry on display. I love the water droplets on his head. The line of them is perfect and flanked by more rows. It’s oddly noisy, not something I’m used to with your photos. But oh that color. Don’t blame you for going easy on yourself when it comes to clean up!

What a look he is giving you, Dennis. You must not have asked permission to take his photo! I too love those water drops and how they line up on his head. The tight crop works for me, it is all about him and nothing else. Well done!

Thanks, Kris. I hadn’t zoomed in all the way myself, so I hadn’t noticed the noise. It doesn’t show up when I fit it to my screen. I’ll have to take more care when I process the rest of yesterday’s images.

Great color rendition and detail. Water droplets on head are a nice bonus. I think the tight crop works well for this type of image.

Wonder who blinked his eyes first … but serious: great shot with that colors and intense stare. Indeed, you may want to try to bring the noise down a bit, but other than that fine as presented for me. Love it! Hans

Terrific head on shot and unique catch of this beauty. Quite the stare down. Beautiful image. Agree on the noise mentioned above. Great catch.

Hi Dennis
I think you should call “Gary Cooper for this show down at high noon”, Great head shot, feather detail and color.
Peter

I like the heads on view here Dennis! Nice low angle good exposure and like the water droplets on the head too! Nicely done!